Saturday 19 December 2015

Will Grayson Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan




So this was my final physical book that I owned and also a possible last book for 2015, its been an awesome time for reading this year and I must thank every author who's books I have had the pleasure to read this year and I hope you like this review.

Book Synopsis:

Will Grayson meets Will Grayson. One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers are about to cross paths. From that moment on, their world will collide and lives intertwine.

Review:

I absolutely loved reading this book, for once I managed and loved to read from two different perspectives and I couldn't wait to see how it would all work out. Both Will Graysons have their own issues going on. John Green's Will is terrified of getting close to anyone, and we see how this starts to impact on his relationships in the book. Levithan's Will is an isolated, lonely and very sad character. If there's ever a character in need of a hug, it's this Will. I could empathise with both of them so much and just wanted things to work out well for them.

I didn't see the 'major' event at the beginning coming,there's is no way I can explain it to you but it hurt me, an absolute killer of an event. I felt so much empathy for Levithan's Will in particular. The book as a whole focuses on coming to terms with your sexuality, figuring out who you can trust and dealing with some awful issues as a teenager. Levithan's Will has depression and it's portrayal is spot on. It isn't often that books are written from the point of view of a character that is living with it - usually it is someone coming to terms with having it. I just wanted to look after him, to support him and tell him to power through because things get better.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is such an emotional read. I loved most of the characters and loved to hate a few. I  seem to want to read a lot of Levithan lately. I need to read more of  his books because they are absolutely fantastic writer. I have read all of John Greens books now and that makes me a little sad, but if you want to read more LGBT issues or mental health issues in books, this is one of the ones worth starting with . The issues were dealt with, with such sensitivity and knowledge; I have so much compassion for these characters and I'd love to read about their lives further. I loved it. It blew me away and I really want to read another book written by both of these guys.

I have to give this book a 5/5, it completely blew me away and will always hold a place on my bookshelf and in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment