Saturday 9 April 2016

Beautiful: A Girls Trip Through The Looking Glass - Marie D'Abreo



Synopsis:

It sucks to have big, frizzy hair and a decidedly average body... when you really want to have model good looks and a cool boyfriend. That's why Lily's on a mission to get beautified, or at least get a red-hot makeover. And the attention of her crush. Now if she could only stop that pesky unwanted visitor from messing with her plans!
Review:

As soon as I opened this book on my tablet I knew it was going to be great. Through quirky humour and the brilliant and creative use of art-wok, the readers get to watch Lily as she discovers what it is like to be beautiful.

It was an uplifting graphic novel with a reminder for us all about valuing ourselves. I loved how short it was and that it still had a huge impact. The illustrations fitted perfectly with the story, perfect representations of what it is like to want to be beautiful and how hard people cane try to be. The quotes throughout the pages were a great to read and take on board. They also helped break up the story line/ Illustrations which was quite nice.

Although names "A girls trip" I think its important to note that both boys and girls and those who do not assign to a particular gender do suffer with trying to be beautiful or attractive and they don't always feel that way.

The book gets a 4.8/5 from me, The topic was well approached and told, I wish it were longer because I liked it that much. A definite strong message is shown and I loved it. Marie is definitely someone I will be looking out for.

Remember you are beautiful just the way you are.

I got this book for free on my Amazon Kindle 7 day free trial


1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlie. I grew up in the UK, now in SF. Thanks for reviewing my graphic novel, 'Beautiful'. I love your idea of dropping 'Girl's...' from the title. When I create Beautiful 2 I might take you up on that! Let me know if you'd like me to send you a copy of my new graphic novel, 'Lost in Guyville'. You might enjoy it :) -- marie@mariedabreo.com

    ReplyDelete