Saturday 19 September 2015

My Girlfriend's Pregnant - Chloe Shantz-Hilkes, Willow Dawson


Title: My Girlfriend's Pregnant
Author: Chloe Shantz-Hilkes, Willow Dawson
Publication Date: September 22nd 2015
Publisher: Annick Press Ltd.
Available Editions: (from information I have) EBook for review

Netgalley Synopsis:
For teens faced with an unplanned pregnancy, the news can be devastating. Typically, most attention is focused on the needs of the mother, but teenage fathers also face a future filled with fear, doubt, and guilt. My Girlfriend's Pregnant! provides much-needed information and support for teens suddenly thrust in the role of father.
Based on interviews with teenage dads, social workers, and medical professionals, this book explores:
What it's like to discover that your girlfriend is pregnant What to expect during pregnancy and childbirth The experience of parenthood--both positive and negative How involved the role of a teen dad can be How parenthood can affect young relationships The stress of being a teen dad The impact of abortion and adoption on young fathers.
With an extensive list of further readings and resources to help with issues ranging from child support to bonding with your child, this book illustrates to young dads that they are not alone and that there are positive ways of dealing with the difficult choices that lie ahead.
About the Contributors

Chloe Shantz-Hilkes's first book with Annick Press was Hooked: When Addiction Hits Home (Spring 2013). She lives in Toronto.
Willow Dawson is an award winning graphic novelist and children's book illustrator. She lives in Toronto.


Review:

I must first point out that this book is not only for men who are expecting babies, but also for those who are curious about the experience.
I must also clarify that I read this book not only out of curiosity but so that I could share this around so that anyone who needs information like this, they know where to find it.

The book contains extracts from answers given by male parents after being asked about something specific to do with the birth of their child. I was intrigued with the whole thing and I must stress that this book is really helpful, and can help so many expecting parents. I found this book interesting because I had never been told of pregnancy from a boy/mans' perspective. It was great to see how each different person said how they approached different scenarios in teenage pregnancy.

The book had several links that could be visited but I think it should of contained more statistics and information on how to deal with the situation. As an overall read it was great and gave me a real insight into pregnancy from a male/boys perspective.

I know that this is a short review but there wasn't much to write about or say about the book except for that its something worth reading if you find yourself in this situation or just simply curious. I give the book a rating of 4.5 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment