Saturday 21 November 2015

The Spooks Apprentice - Joseph Delaney

TheSpooksApprentice-JosephDelaney.jpgTitle: The Spooks Apprentice
Author: Joseph Delaney
Publication Date: 2004
Publisher: The Bodley Head
Available Editions: Hardback and Paperback



Book Synopsis:

"Someone has to stand against the dark. And you're the only one who can."

For years, the local Spook has been keeping the County safe from evil. Now his time is coming to an end, but who will take over?

Many apprentices have tried... Some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive. Just one boy is left. Thomas Ward. He is the last hope.

But does he stand a chance against Mother Malkin, the most dangerous witch in the County.

Review:

This book was given to me a year ago by Chloe from the page starts here and my boyfriend at the time (hi there xD). I had begun to read it back when I had it for my 16th birthday but never got into it enough to finish it until now. It took me less than a day to finish it and I'm really not seeing why I wasn't interested in it a year ago. The Spooks Apprentice is the first book in the Wardstone Chronicles which is 15 books in total.

Thomas (the apprentice), his family, the Spook, and Alice are the main characters in this story even though there are several other strong characters in the book. I thought the vivid description throughout the book was amazing it really bought the book to life. It was easy to feel the relationship between the Spook and Thomas and his family, but as the story goes on the Spook and Thomas' bond strengthens, his family seem to be pushing themselves away.

The book plays out great, part of me wasn't expecting it to be as great as it was. I clearly underestimated this read. The book explores the period in life where a teenager has to establish the path they want to take even if it happens to be following in someone else's footsteps. Thomas faces many challenges throughout the book, causing him to think hard and make the best choice he could and to me it speaks volumes to me when it come to comparing that situation to teenagers.

I give the book an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, even thought I found very little wrong with it I just don't feel that I can give it a 5 even though I wish I could. Part of me really wants to buy and read all of the other 14 books in the series but the other part of me knows I cant afford it. Hopefully I will get around to it one day. I fully recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy like books and who just want to pass time. I hope that if you give it a read that you enjoy it.




2 comments:

  1. I read this last summer I think and I liked it but wasn't ecstatic about it. I wanted to be. Oh well. I am glad you enjoyed it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't as ecstatic about it as I thought I would be but when I got into the it I didn'the hate it and it was a good read x

    ReplyDelete