Wednesday 15 March 2017

Eric Olafson, Space Pirate - Vanessa Ravencroft

Eric Olafson, Space Pirate

Synopsis:
It's the year 5021 and the Milky Way Galaxy is teeming with life and exotic species. The majority of the known civilisations have formed a multi-cultural mega organization called the United Stars of Galaxies. This Union is protected by the brave men and women of the United Stars Space fleet against external threats.

Eric Olafson, born and raised under harsh conditions of the traditional and inward looking society of Nilfeheim, left his planet to fulfil his dreams of becoming a Starship captain.

When Eric gets kidnaped by an unknown organization and brought to Sin4, he slowly starts to discover his central role in an ancient conflict of cosmic proportions.

Review:

First of all I have to say that I was contacted and given a copy of the book in return I was to give an honest review. All the opinions in this review are mine and I am going to try and avoid any sort of spoilers that I can and still try to give a good quality review.

Today is in fact Eric Olafson Space Pirate' publication day! HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY ❤


Admittedly jumping in to this book was kind of like being thrown right into the deep end of a pool and barely being able to swim because this book is part of a larger series, and I mean a large series. Without reading any of the other books I was pretty much drowning right away, all the characters flooded me and I was tying to keep them separate and it was beyond a struggle. I hadn't read any of the other instalments so everything was overwhelming and hard to process as I was reading and trying to establish a clear image.

I struggled and continue to struggle with identifying and analysing how I feel towards all of the characters involved in the plot. I mean Eric is our main character and he wants nothing more than to fulfil his dream of becoming a starship captain. He end sup kidnapped and then basically from there on out I'm pretty much rolling down a hill it was that hard to keep track of everything that was happening. As much as I really wanted to connect with Eric and the other characters, I feel as though that my lack of knowledge on them due to not reading any of the other books really effected that and the only link between me and them was the fact they were in the story, I was nowhere near feeling any emotion or connection between myself and them. I will hopefully be able to put time aside in the future to read the series from the start in hopes of gripping the larger picture and establishing some sort of understanding and connection with the book and characters.

For what I understood and managed to keep a hold on, I loved. The action really pleased me and the level of detail was really awesome. At points the amount of detail was annoying but for the most part its use really helped to get me immersed. At points the level of detail did end up actually pushing me from the book and I found myself unable to read the book for a few hours just because the detail felt overpowering, like the author had tried so hard to immerse the readers and create a believable setting that it just ended up being too much and became overwhelming, almost so detailed and needing to be gripping that you could tell it was a work of fiction, I'm trying to say that at points the level of detail it had stopped it being immersive, so detailed it was obviously nowhere near real.

I must keep it clear that this book is great for those who love Sci.fi action and have time to read all of the other books or have a great ability to follow stories that are really sort of in the middle of a series without reading the others. I can 100% see why people who have read the book and series love it and love Vanessa, I can 100% see why Inkitt published this book. I just really wished I had caught wind of the series a long time ago so I could have followed it all the way and gotten a real addiction to it. However it wasn't meant to be and I was drowning the moment I begun reading but I loved what I read for the most part and I wish Vanessa continued luck with the series. Its a 3.5 out of 5 and I hope that my opinion and view does in no way deter you from embarking on the journey through the series.


Grab your copy from Amazon here!

Read more about this instalment on Goodreads

Read Pre- release reviews here

To read about all of Vanessa's work, go here


No comments:

Post a Comment