Saturday 1 April 2017

More Than This - Patrick Ness



Synopsis:

A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies.

Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive.

How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?


Review:

I've been wanting this book for a long long time, every time I've seen it in the shop I've wanted to pick it up but never actually gotten around to doing so. I used my 1 free credit from audible and then spent 11 hours listening to the majestic voice of Nick Podehl.

I had no idea about the actual plot of the story, I just knew the synopsis and that was it really, the rest of the plot was a pure mystery so its safe to say I was pleasantly surprised when the plot really begun to unravel. I really don't know what to say about this book, I've really lost a major part of my vocabulary.

The last thing Seth remembers is dying, he can remember how it felt to struggle against the waves and the feeling of his shoulder snapping and then the agonising pain of his skull breaking and irreparable damage to his body has been done. The next thing he knows, he's thirsty, bruised and naked but he's alive beyond all odds. He begins to believe that the familiar now abandoned place in which he lives is his own personal hell, where he's left wondering if there really is more than this but then on one day once the dreams (which help us gain background information on our MC) he has when he sleeps get too painful for him, he makes a choice to go out for a run on the next clear day, a run that massively changes the whole thing.

At the rate of which things were going for the first however darn long it was, I thought Seth and his dreams were all we were going to have which would develop into some other situation but the way the book went took me by surprise. We end up with more characters other than the ones in his dreams/memories. Regine and Tomasz are great characters who entertained me. All 3 of them together is literally 3 parts of my soul. Tomasz is a younger boy who is actually so adorable my heart bleeds for him, he's so thoughtful and wise even though he's sensitive and strong. Regine is strong and independent and capable of so much. We do end up  finding out what happened to both of the new characters which is somewhat the same as what had happened to Seth.

The book does get you thinking, second guessing, trying to figure everything out but what's great I that even at the end of the book you don't really know what is happening or anything, you've just
been on this journey and you've had this experience and had such a thrilling time but leave none the wiser. Usually that would annoy me but this time, this is the exception, its amazing sort of like The Matrix and Inception mixed.

I've adored Patrick Ness' work since I read A Monster Calls around about like 4 years ago? ever since I've been walking into book stores and seeing more of his books and I've always wanted to buy them but never actually picked them up since I listened tot his on Audible, I cant wait to read The Rest of Us Just Live Here. Patrick just has a way of writing that just makes you adore his work and everything.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants a book to read, its easy to get into an you could easily read it in 2 days, also its great to listen to it on Audible, really soothing and immersive. It would definitely make a great movie. Its a 5/5 from me and a definite must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment