Saturday 3 September 2016

The Edge Of Juniper - Lora Richardson



30330916







Synopsis:

“You’re off-limits, so why can’t I stop thinking about you?”

Fay Whitaker, sixteen years old and yearning for adventure, is excited to spend the summer with her fearless cousin Celia in small-town Juniper, Indiana.

But Fay soon discovers that her summer home is not what she expected. She is alarmed by her uncle’s temper, and learns of the grudge he holds against the Dearing family. Celia handles the tension at home by escaping with her boyfriend, leaving Fay with time on her hands—time that leads her straight to Malcolm Dearing, off-limits because of his last name. Fay is captivated by Malcolm’s warmth and intensity. She finds that trying to stay away from him only makes her think of him more.

Fay and Celia are launched on a journey, and each must attempt to navigate the thrilling and unpredictable world of love. Everything Fay thinks she knows about love is put to the test, as relationships unfold and reveal themselves in ways she never before dreamed.


Review:

I have to declare that Lora contacted me and asked if I was interested in reading her new book if it was something id like to read. This came after she had contacted me what seems like a long time ago offering a copy of her first book Outspoken for a honest review. I said yes to reading her second book The Edge Of Juniper, and this is what I have to say.

First off I have to say once I saw the book cover and then matched it to the characters actual ages I felt like they were written either 2 years too young or pictured 2 years older.

Fay was almost instantly attached to me, or me to her, whichever way you choose to say it. at the age of 16 she had a really strong  mind set and sense of independence. I really enjoyed the fact that when around her cousin Celia, and talking deep conversations she doesn't hold back with how she really feels and that kind of goes all the way through the book and it was great to see her not lose any part of herself.

Celia alone poked at my heart, she was blinded to some things going on and it only took her cousin to stay longer than 1 week to gain clarity, she is the big sister to Abe and although declare she hates him, to me she screams she adores him and would give anything for him to not have witnessed all she and he have.

Malcolm was not the cliché character I first thought he would be and I liked that a lot, he was very much all I ever wanted in a guy yet alone what good old fictional Fay wanted in a boyfriend. He was very understanding and caring. His best friend Paul didn't have a lot of time in the book compared to the other characters but when he was involved, it always helped the story progress that little bit more. Don't get me started on Ronan...please don't.

Unfortunately we don't see much of Freya or Finn who are the twin best friend's of Faye, id of liked to have seen more of them to get an even tighter grip on the strength of their friendship than what I had when they were first introduced and each time they made an appearance.

The development of Malcolm and Faye as well as Celia was so perfect I think I could cry if I had any tears to actually cry, I believe it was that good.

Yet again Lora has produced a book focused on problems that are really happening around the world, parent issues like separation and violence. What I also adore about this book is the fact it also talks about how the children involved in those relationships also feel like they have to carry the weight of the issue and fix it by themselves.

Throughout the eight weeks that Fay stays with her cousins, she slowly learns about herself and what she always believed love and family to be. Her view on them is changes, only for the better.

The book also covers the topic of losing your virginity, now this is an important topic in young relationships yet alone older relationships. Lora takes this opportunity to go down both paths of a virgin teenager, the 1st, being prepared and losing your virginity with your partner as well as the 2nd path where you aren't ready to engage in that level of intimacy and how to approach that topic of conversation with your partner. I love this because it lets readers know that if you are ready and your partner is too then that's okay and if you aren't ready and your partner is accepting of that, that is also okay.

The book gets a 5 frome me, there's no doubt about it, the book is easy to get into a read and isn't too long either, a definite recommendation to anyone.

Lora teaches me a lesson or a few through her writing and I'm wishing her all the luck in the world with all of her writing. I feel very fortunate to have been able to read both of Lora's work and I can not thank her enough for trusting me enough to allow me to.

Refreshing, heartwarming and a pinch of well timed sarcasm

No comments:

Post a Comment