Tuesday 14 July 2015

Confessions Of A Queen B* - Crista McHugh

I was granted the right to read this book before its official publication date and I'm grateful for the opportunity.




Title: Confessions Of A Queen B
Author: Crista McHugh
Publisher: Crista McHugh
Publication Date: 28th July 2015
Available Editions: EBook


NetGalley Synopsis:


Alexis Wyndham is the other type of Queen B—the Queen Bitch.

After years of being the subject of ridicule, she revels in her ability to make the in-crowd cower via the exposés on her blog, The Eastline Spy. Now that she's carved out her place in the high school hierarchy, she uses her position to help the unpopular kids walking the hallways.

Saving a freshman from bullies? Check.
Swapping insults with the head cheerleader? Check.
Falling for the star quarterback? So not a part of her plan.

But when Brett offers to help her solve the mystery of who’s posting X-rated videos from the girls’ locker room, she’ll have to swallow her pride and learn to see past the high school stereotypes she’s never questioned—until now.



Review:


What attracted me to this book when I saw it on Netgalley was definitely the bright colour used on the cover, that was enough to spark my interest and I have no idea why. after reading the description I had basically pleaded with my email to refresh and tell me I had been allowed to read it. Thankfully I got the email. This book was the third book in my sleepless marathon after finding a spider close to my face so it was around 3 am when I started reading it and 6:42 ish when I had completed it.




There were so many good parts in the book I found it kind of hard to choose only a few. First of all the story progression was excellent, there was a seamless flow between events and the level of description was just right, it wasn't just a sentence to describe something but it wasn't a 30 page paragraph on describing the colour of a shirt which is excellent. The hidden messages aren't hidden when you read them because the messages are literally there and you're reading it and there is no need to interpret things even though that is also possible. As much as I love hidden messages, at 3am until nearly 7am I'm really grateful they were spelt out for me. One other grate thing about this book was that there were enough characters to make it interesting but not too many to confuse you on who's who which is always a plus.


Sticking with the characters the book focuses on two characters, Alexis and Brett. They were certainly what I class as total opposites when I first read them being in social interactions with each other. Alexis' character is quite fierce, she intimidates everyone, she's very clever and if you have skeletons in your closet? she'd find them and then publicly expose you on her blog. Brett is what people assume to be the biggest asshole of the lot, he would be perceived as the guy who sleeps around a lot and cant hold a relationship longer than a week but in fact Brett is completely different, he is more knowledgeable and friendly, he aims to correct the ways of his stupid jock friends and unlike everyone else, isn't intimidated by Alexis. There are of course other characters like Alexis' best friends Morgan and Richard but I never felt like they fully supported Alexis, I mean yes Richard was always there to talk to but Morgan was always so pushy for Alexis to lose the V card with the possibility she may not be so up tight. I definitely went though a faze of disliking and liking her best friends but overall they weren't so bad.


As I've mentioned a few times it took me over 3 hours to finish this book, but that was continuously so I didn't even stop to drink at any time it was just a straight page after page read and in all honesty even if I wanted a drink I probably wouldn't of stopped for one because I was so into the book that if I was to stop maybe id miss something or id forget something and the whole book would of been ruined.




                                                SPOILERS ALERT: you have been warned.


Okay so as you can probably figure out, Alexis tried to deny her love for Brett but after having to put up with each other for a while the two begin to soften around each other. Alexis always trying to find something to hold against Brett to post on her blog and humiliate him much like she had done with several other students and even teachers, but she feels he never really deserved to be humiliated so never does post a Brett post. However, the more undeniably in love with each other they become, the more weary Alexis becomes because she isn't sure she trusts him enough to open up but having kept a secret to herself about the secret camera in the changing rooms that she took down after it streamed footage of the cheerleading squad naked onto YouTube, she can only seek Brett's help to find out who it is on the other end when it happens for a second time. They both remove the second camera but end up having a steamy moment when they are avoiding the detection of the principal and the coach. Soon they find out who's behind the streaming of the videos and everything calms down and then the couple finally admit their love for each other but Alexis cant take the step yet, she simply isn't ready and agree on being friends but its clear at the end of the book that she clearly wants to be more than friends but just needs a little time, and a little more time alone with Brett.


Much like any book, this book had a problem, I wouldn't call it a major problem but more of something id of liked to of seen. This was the relationship between Alexis and her sister Taylor, they are both opposites but Alexis still cares for her sister, hence the frantic search to find whoever was streaming the footage from the changing rooms which features Taylor. I'd if liked to of seen the pair bond and spend more time together.


It wasn't until I was nearly finished writing this review that I found out this is actually going to be a trilogy. This book alone is great and could be left at the point it ended but the fact the author had made two more books is simply exciting and I cannot wait to see more Alexis and Brett.
I have no trouble giving this book a 5 out of 5 and I cannot wait for the seconds and third book.































No comments:

Post a Comment