Saturday 24 March 2018

Happyland: A Fairy Tale in Two Parts - Tes Mekonnen

36369901




Synopsis:


Would you like to court me to Happyland?" Prince Gobbledygook asks Lily Marshmallow and himself. Therein the journey begins to find Happyland. Follow him as he tries to define happiness with a little help from his friends, Big Wig Sophisticated Pig, Brutus Beaujolais and Cornelius Wordbook, an English gentleman with a book-for-a-head. Prince Gobbledygook duels, loses his ladylove, regains his original name and gains a friendship that will last for fourforevers. Will they make it to Happyland?

Review:

This book was definitely different to other books I have ever read, like ever. To some, some of the language in the beginning of the book can throw you off and confused you, but after you get used to it the story flows right along with the unique writing style. For me, I seemed to be pretty well absorbed into the book and the language that confused some readers just seemed to click with me which was strangely amusing somehow. The language used and the illustrations that come with, I think it really fit the story because it is a very quirky story, one that I don't think I've ever really heard of before. I think that the story was super cute and very much enjoyable.

On the surface, the story tells of the inexplicably sad Lily Marshmallow, who is discovered by Prince Goobledygook and led henceforth to a promised land of sorts, known to the Prince as Happyland. Some may say it looks like the usual prince meets potential princess but indeed it is not the case here, this book is much much more.

I thought the illustrations were absolutely gorgeous, and its worth it to just read this for that alone. I think its some of my absolute favourite artwork I have seen ever, and I am so glad it was included in the novel. I must appreciate Anthony Resto and all the illustrations throughout the book, they really helped bring the characters and story to life.

Overall, I did really enjoy this book. I loved all of the quirky characters and the different writing style as well as the unique setting. I love the little 'Morals' we get to read at the end of each sort of scene/chapter. 


LILY MARSHMALLOW IS NOT AN OBJECT OR SOME WEAK WOMAN THAT REQUIRES A MAN TO SAVE HER. SHE IS LIFE. PRINCE GOBBLEDYGOOK IS IN SOME SORT OF PURGATORY AND SHE IS HIS MIRROR. I MUST EMPHASIZE THIS—LILY MARSHMALLOW IS LIFE AND LIFE DOESN’T TALK AND WE ALL WANT TO FIGHT FOR IT. I TRIED TO INFUSE MY PHILOSOPHY INTO HAPPYLAND. 

PRINCE GOBBLEDYGOOK IS THE NOW.

LILY MARSHMALLOW IS LIFE.

ADOLFO DUMFRIES IS FUTURE (A CAUTIONARY TALE).

LEOPOLD BALTHAZAR II IS PAST. 

THIS STORY MIGHT BE FICTITIOUS, BUT IT EXPLAINS MY JOURNEY FOR SEEKING HAPPINESS.

THANK YOU, 

TES MEKONNEN


The story also posed some philosophical questions related to our own understanding on the concept of happiness. The story sees the characters searching desperately for Happyland, and towards the end of the book, discussing the value of happiness in relation to both money and selflessness. These instances provide a moral framework to the tale, and allows the reader to think about how the events that take place in the characters’ journeys may relate to their own lives today.

This book is great, looking past what we see at face value, it's food for thought which always makes me love the book more. I give the book a 4.5 out of 5 and I don't dislike anything about the story or anything i just for some reason cant give it a solid 5, which I would if I could.

Also a huge thanks to Tes Mekonnen who provided me with a copy of the book for a honest review, it's lovely to be trusted with work that had taken time and love to craft. It's an honour.





No comments:

Post a Comment