Saturday 9 September 2017

An American Cage by Ted Galdi

35648233

Synopsis:


Three inmates break out of a maximum-security prison in Texas, one of them Danny Marsh, a suburban kid in his twenties who landed in jail because of a crime he never intended to commit.

An American Cage follows Danny and his two escape partners over a twenty-four-hour period as they struggle to cross Texas to freedom in Mexico. On this dangerous journey, Danny has to evade the rabid Texas authorities, and even worse, the schemes of one of his closest allies, who isn't who he seems.

Review:

So I managed to read this book in like 6 hours, it was so good I really couldn't put it down so it wasn't much of a surprise for me to read it all in one go. 

Danny Marsh is 24 years old, after one error of judgment one night after a dinner out with his colleagues he ends up behind bars at Crick Maximum Security Prison located in Texas. He was often a victim of panic attacks until he was housed with a new cellmate, the soft spoken Professor Phil Zorn who's forty-ish and a neuroscience researcher and was able to offer Danny father-like support and encouragement. It is then no surprise that when Phil plans a prison break, Danny, as well as ghetto raised Monty Montgomery support the escape plan.

I don't want to run through the book bit by bit and ruin it from anyone so I'll leave it there but as soon as you open the book you are thrown right into the action, it's a gripping piece of writing all the right way through. We see all of this over a 24 hour period, the time is filled by great characterizations and relentless action which helps the time pass super quickly. The characters are perfectly crafted and well developed throughout the story which juts makes it all the more wonderful. 

Although there are three main characters and point of view, we see some of the story through other characters eyes which only deepens the link between story and reader. It was lovely to see the book broken up by changes in the POV which helped give the reader a look a all angles of the story including the police and the family of those involved. 

I wasn't expecting the ending to play out like it did, it was a great surprise and I actually loved it more than I probably should. This books was truly great, even much so that on Instagram where I was hosting a book tag in August I named this book my favourite book of the year so far. Ted Galdi crafted a great book with great characters and executed it all perfectly and even though I didn't know what exactly to expect from this book when I first opened it, I fell in love with what came from it in the end. I cant give this book anything less that the 5/5 it deserves, and I can only recommend this book to anyone out there who wants to be surprised and immersed in action.

Than you to Ted who provided a copy of the book for an honest review, it was an honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment