Saturday 15 July 2017

The Salvation Project - Stewart Ross

35095911


Synopsis:

A mutation in human DNA means no one lives beyond nineteen. Scientists working to reverse this pandemic died before their Salvation Project was complete, leaving behind the results of their research in a sealed vault – the Soterion.

122 years have passed. The civilisation of the ‘Long Dead’ is almost forgotten, the Soterion has been burned to ashes, and communities of Constants are tormented by brutal tribes of Zeds. Cyrus, Miouda and Sammy flee their burning city with a laptop rescued from the inferno. They believe it contains the key to the Salvation Project. But its batteries are dead, there is no electricity to power it, and murderous Zeds will stop at nothing to get it back…


Review:

We gather here today to witness the ending of The Salvation Project series.

Within this book we once again bare witness to the world of Zeds and Constants, after the happenings of the previous book it's safe to say not only were the character affected but so was I as a reader. If you ever thought the pacing of these books was ever going to change, you are wrong.

With this being the finale of the series I was even more eager to see what would happen and how all of this was going to play out. We follow Sammy, Cyrus, Miouda as they flee from their burning city, its lovely to see Cyrus happy again with Miouda and how she is happy with him. All the characters remained close to my heart and I still maintain a link with them somehow, they were just so real to me. In their possession is what they believe to be the key to the Salvation Project but they have no way to access it without electricity so it becomes their priority to find some and avoid the Zeds.

Along the way we meet survivors unlike any others, they are shrivelled and hiding from the world believing the sun tainted humans. But they have electricity and that's all that gets the group interested as well as providing a place to avoid the wolves in the city that they narrowly manage to escape from on their way to encountering these survivors. However there is only momentary success and they leave with a new companion and a hotter burning fire within them to carry on and finish what was started years and years ago.

In Zed world things are still as violent and bloody as always, however fractures in the ranks begin to effect the whole Zed kind. It's clear that nothing good will ever come from them except for 3 zeds who run from their tribes in search of Cyrus and the other but for a whole new reason which warmed my heart. I will not lie but they do meet, and unlike what you expect things don't go south. Well not for long anyway and its glorious to see.

Throughout the series yet alone this final instalment I prayed for success for the Constants, wishing they get the happy ending they so rightly deserve after all they have been through, all the struggles they have had and the dangers they've had to face. Stewart Ross himself stated " I honestly think it's the best book I've written. Not to everyone's taste because it's controversial, especially at the end; but you must read it." And I have to agree, its not going to be to everyone's taste and it is controversial especially the ending and you really of have to read it but for me it was to taste and although part of me was upset by the ending, more of me was pleased with it.

Each character got what they deserved in the end and I finished the book with a good hearty cry and farewell to all those in the series. Stewart created a world that teaches readers about love and loss, friendship and enemies, education and responsibilities and lets not forget the importance of being able to make a choice for yourself. Although I'm sad to see the series come to an end, I'm incredibly happy to have been on the journey with all of these amazing characters who now I look back at them , had their own reasons for everything they ever did. Much like the other instalments of the series, its a 5/5 from me. Please if you ever have a chance to pick up and read these 3 books, I beg you to take a chance and do it. I didn't regret it, I hope you wont either.

No comments:

Post a Comment